Wednesday, October 13, 2010

5 Worst Things About the South

After spending a full week in the South, there are a lot of things I really enjoy, but some things that they can approve on. Here are the top 5 worst things about the South.



5) It smells
--I'm not sure why, but the South smells. In both Georgia and South Carolina I've run into this weird sulfur smell in the air and I don't know exactly what's causing it. Alex apparently was told that in Athens it's caused by a nearby syrup plant, plausible, but it doesn't explain why it's persisted in South Carolina. A quick google of the issue did not reveal any answers.



4) Guys with a southern accent/stupid people
--A southern accent on girls is amazing, but it just makes guys sound like idiots. I was going to make this one saying that the people are kind of dumb, but I'm not sure it's true (probably is, updated to just come out and say it). At the very least they sound a lot dumber than they do in the North and the accent is largely the reason. However, the accent alone isn't the reason I say that they're dumber, the guy holding a sign advertising Dominoes upside down didn't help their case. Southern taxi dispatchers are also idiots.



3) They drive slow as hell
--Man, they are way too relaxed down here. Apparently no one is in a hurry to get anywhere because it seems like almost everyone drives at or below the speed limit. This is particularly frustrating on backcountry single lane roads. Come on people, pick up the pace!



2) No one works here
--I wanted to stop at a BBQ place in South Carolina but almost all of the ones I looked up were open 3-4 days per week. Right now I'm in Charleston, SC (very touristy city) and all the stores close at 5, I guess it's good for work-life balance, but how does anyone make money here?! If this is Southern living, sign me up.



1) Their history
--I'm sorry, but as someone born and raised in the Northeast, I can't get over the confederate flags. I can understand the argument that it's just about Southern history, but if people don't realize what it stands for now they're idiots (see number 4) or they're just blatantly racist. Luckily #4 basically prevents the bumper stickers saying the South will rise again from coming true.


Now, as I said at the start, there's a lot to like about the South. That post will be either coming tonight, or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment